VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hurricane Sandy

Go down 
+11
Grymm
Stray
dj6884
Jaded_Heart
sbouldin
MADKATTER
smb2585
ClarkeReptiles
Docwade87
Don
Focal
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 am

Thoughts? It looks like we are going to get some.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Don

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 am

Could be. That is why I'm always prepared. First, I have a 14,000 watt backup generator. It will not run my proportional thermostats, so I will switch the secondary (on/off thermostats) to primary. I also keep a full case of 40 hour heat packs just in case.

From what I'm hearing, even though this is a tropical storm if the power goes out we will be dealing with cold temperatures because of a cold front coming in from the west. So, keeping warm will be in issue if we lose power.

Need to run to the gas station tomorrow to fill the cans for the generator.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 pm

I have the cans in the car now and will fill them on the way home. I was recommended to get amsoil gas stabilizer in case we don't lose power. From what I was told today, that silly ethanol starts to integrate water into the gas and ruins it in like 30 days.

I'll have to test my generator to see if it works with proportional. I know it won't run my battery back ups so I have to swap it over. The battery back ups do run the heat on proportional.
Back to top Go down
Don

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:27 pm

One of the things I'm reading about online is people wondering whether to feed their snakes before the storm. My opinion is that if you do not have a heat source to provide a warm spot for digestion, it is probably better to not feed right before the storm. I'm specifically concerned with Ball Pythons, which have a higher temperature warm spot than colubrids. However, if we get 39 degree lows, that could be a concern there as well.

Not sure how others feel about this so I'm throwing it out there for discussion.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm

If I was over a week out from a hurricane and would anticipate losing heat/power, I would feed because I think most would be digested, however, at this point I wouldn't. Feeding would be the least of my worries if they were going to be subjected to temps that low. If anyone around here loses power, I have a few extra heat packs that expire next spring that I'll probably not use. LMK.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 pm

I wouldn't feed them either. Luckily mine all ate at the beginning of this week.

I have a full supply of 40hr heat packs myself. How do you use them during power outages? Do you take the reptiles and put them in deli cups etc. or do you integrate the heat packs in their enclosures somehow?

I have a generator as well, but never have had to use it and am not sure if it will support my proportional thermostats or not?!? I guess you just have to hook them up and see or whats the best avenue to do this? I am not good with electrical stuff (only cardiovascular electrical stuff lol)
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 pm

As I was on vacation (did not watch tv) for over a week I had no clue about this storm. I do not have a generator or heat packs. Would hot hands hand warmers (tubs properly ventilated) work for a heat source? I know they get really hot and I've been told you can use them if you tie them in a sock first.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:45 pm

I resorted to hand warmers and also found that the "back warmers" worked really well too. Just make sure you monitor them and you should be fine.

I am not but so worried about this storm. I never really get too worried unless it is a bigger category. In my eyes it isn't going to be any different than those horrible thunderstorms or whatever they called them several nights in a row this past summer. But again it is always necessary to prepare for the worst, especially when it comes to our reptiles and pets.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Its one thing when a storm is followed by warm weather. It is forecast this storm will be followed by a cold front. Temperatures in your house can drop very rapidly.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Yes I saw where that was a possibility with this storm which is why they are making such a big deal over it. Should be interesting to say the least.

I am always prepared, but am not one who gets all hyped up like the news and weather forecasters want you to. I just react as it takes effect and go from there. Adapt and overcome is my moto.

IMO, there is no reason to worry yourself to death especially with such a small storm like this one besides it possibly getting cold.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:56 pm

If I were to use heat packs, I would tape it to the outside of a tub or put it in a delicup/small tub and put it in an enclosure so they could wrap it.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Focal wrote:
If I were to use heat packs, I would tape it to the outside of a tub or put it in a delicup/small tub and put it in an enclosure so they could wrap it.

good idea Nick!

Does anyone have any extra On/off thermostats?!? I would only need one.....let me know. My generator does not support proportional thermostats Facepalm
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Unfortunately we are not prepared and usually are last minute people. We did feed today. Also got a new snake shipped in today (first time we had one shipped, came from California)... we still have to stock up at the store (havent been shopping in a couple months) and really don't have an extra heat supply but my Dad has an extra generator we can use if needed.

My daughter is going camping today through Sunday with a friend at the Indian Cove place in Sandbridge. They are staying in a camper but have a back up plan...

The only thing I have to do this weekend is pick up girl scout orders otherwise I should be home...

Hopefully everyone is safe and we don't get much if any of this storm... it appears to be raining a bit here though.
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:57 pm

I need to stock up on beer...
Back to top Go down
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:47 pm

So.. I honestly don't think it will be bad. But, if we were to loose power how would I go about keeping the geckos warm? I know you said the deli cup so they can wrap around it..but I assume you mean for a snake? Those heated back pads..could they be stuck to the size of the tank or bottom as a temporary heat pad? Or was that just a dumb question? Lol. I've never dealt with losing power with reptiles durring cold weather.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Chris I can see if I have a thermostat you can borrow. I know I have an extra but I am Not sure if it is the on off kind.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:18 pm

MADKATTER wrote:
I need to stock up on beer...

Done! If you want to stimulate the economy, make scary hurricane threats! Walmart was a nightmare.

For geckos, I would still use the deli cup idea too. They are smart when it comes to survival, so I'd imagine they would hang out around it if need be.
Back to top Go down
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Jaded_Heart

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:28 pm

I have colubrids, all my hatchlings ate 4 days ago, and will not be fed again until the power situation is figured out. We have a generator, so most likely will be okay, but **** happens and sometimes backups fail. My yearlings and adults were due to feed today, but again, they will be waiting. like others have said, I don't want my snakes to have full bellies if it gets cold. they will be much safer being hungry for a few extra days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 pm

I just fed on Wednesday. Sad

I really hope the power doesn't go out because I have 2 month supply of feeders in the freezer. I just went out and got some 12 hour heat packs and will be placing an order soon for UniHeat heat packs. Have to wait for the next paycheck.
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 pm

ive got one 40 hour heat pack for the hatchling if power goes out so they atleast have some heat not sure what im going to do for the others it really sucks not being prepared ugh but praying it wont be too bad No
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm

As a (relatively) inexperienced keeper who hasn't had to weather many well... weather instances, thanks to everyone in this thread for their input. Some really fantastic ideas and advice. I'm headed out to walmart for some hand(or back) warmers Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Don

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Almost forgot the most important thing. With a storm coming, now is the best time to put those males and females together!
Back to top Go down
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 pm

LOL already on it and its the females that havent locked up yet. Hopefully this will get em goin.
Got me some hand warmers since well I just found out about this storm today didn't really have time to get ready. Im not expecting a big hard hit but am ready in the event of power loss cept for a generator. . . one day Ill invest in one just gotta find the right one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
Don

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Anyone coming to the Richmond show, I can cut loose of some 40 hour heat packs at $1 each. I'm not going to advertise at the show, because I'm not in the dry goods business. I'm doing this only for VAHERPs.com members and you must let me know how many you want before 5pm tomorrow. I'll put them under the table and have them available when you come by. PM me with how many you need. I've got over a case of them.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 pm

That's the good thing about hurricanes. There are an abundance of newly-used ones for sale post-storm at great prices. Gotta love generator return policies lol. Many people will set them up and not even use them which voids the return.
Back to top Go down
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Nick thats what I always look at but I also remember I wanna take my house off the grid and go solar with the power company as back up. so Im always looking for a deal since solar is still relativly expensive but would still work through power outages.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Big generator here, has to run pond and house hold stuff. Got the BBQ ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 9:59 am

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
As I was on vacation (did not watch tv) for over a week I had no clue about this storm. I do not have a generator or heat packs. Would hot hands hand warmers (tubs properly ventilated) work for a heat source? I know they get really hot and I've been told you can use them if you tie them in a sock first.

Any thoughts?

I use the warmers when I am traveling with someone they work great. I get the back sized one too, to me they hold their heat a little less time than the smaller ones, but cover a larger surface area.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 am

Stray wrote:
As a (relatively) inexperienced keeper who hasn't had to weather many well... weather instances, thanks to everyone in this thread for their input. Some really fantastic ideas and advice. I'm headed out to walmart for some hand(or back) warmers Smile

I don't know which Walmart you are going to, but I had no luck finding them in Walmart. I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought a box of 30 of the 12hr heat packs. They were $1 each.
Back to top Go down
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member
derpinah

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Would you recommend heating a bearded dragon the same way, he's in a 40 gallon breeder tank? Or should I put him in a 32 quart tub in the snake rack with a warmer?

Should I offer my feeders heat packs as well under the tanks/tubs. I have a 1.3 (two are pregnant..FINALLY!) quartet of rats in a 10 gallon glass tank, a 1.2 trio of mice in a medium lab mice/rat breeding tub, & a started colony of Dubia in a tub/tote.

I rarely chime in, but I do read just about all the posts. I've learned so much from this forum and have met some great people. Thanks for the info about the heat packs.

I'm also in Staunton, & looking at the online weather, I don't know if I'll be affected too much by Sandy, I even kept my power during the duracho (sp?), but this is great info for future power outages.
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:20 pm

I heat my beardies with the hand warmers also. The mice and rats should be fine unless the temp in your house starts dropping rather low. As for the roaches I put a heat pack under their tank. My concern is my youngest beardie. He had a bad vitamin b12 deficiency when he was 3 weeks old. So I've always been overly concerned when he has to go without his bulbs for a few days due to power outages.. He is about 7 months old now. Anyone have any tips on how to help him. When the power goes out in the summer its fine because I can just set him an enclosure up outside for a few hours but with the cold front this one is suppose to bring I am really worried. Sad And I have vitamin boosts for him also from the vet to give him if he ever has a drunk dragon spell but I know that could be bad for me to give him if he doesn't have UVB and UVA to help break it down. Sad This is stressing me out more then figure out what to do with myself.
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Oh. Also we heat weights up by our brick fire place and wrap those up for our beardies too.. Since my dad is obsessed with weight building.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hurricane Sandy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Sandy   Hurricane Sandy Empty

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Sandy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Welcome to VaHerps! :: OFF TOPIC!-
Jump to: