VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cheap but useful??

Go down 
+2
byrd'sballs
smb2585
6 posters
AuthorMessage
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 pm

So I am taking my entire paycheck Friday to spend at Tinley.. including helping with gas and food on the way there and while there... but want to purchase my OWN snake... not something HE buys that is "ours" for now... but I may be limited on funds on purchasing.... so curious on any ideas of a ball that isnt highly expensive but not a normal... I have a few ideas in mind... but either way... in the end if things dont go as expected in the future, I dont necessarily care if it gets bred or not... what is everyones input??? Prefer to spend no more then $150... hoping we can find a really good deal if we buy more than one from someone there...
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 12:41 am

pastels, spiders, yellow bellies, male mojaves, most hets all can be had for 150 or less
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:08 am

In all honesty... I'd say scrap the money your going to spend on going to Tinley and use the money to Pick up a Nice Morph... Not saying Morphs you'll find for 150 or less aren't or wont be nice but... if your spending 300 to go to Tinley that's 450 you could get a female or male Bee... 2 sweet female morph's a super pastel etc etc... that's just me though LMAO
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 am

Cp3_Pythons wrote:
In all honesty... I'd say scrap the money your going to spend on going to Tinley and use the money to Pick up a Nice Morph... Not saying Morphs you'll find for 150 or less aren't or wont be nice but... if your spending 300 to go to Tinley that's 450 you could get a female or male Bee... 2 sweet female morph's a super pastel etc etc... that's just me though LMAO

id have to agree.... although some people do like to go to shows just to go and see the animals. so i guess thats up to you Smile but id stay home and go to a show a bit closer
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 am

Well we are picking up an albino female thats 1000+ grams for $450 at Tinley since the guy wouldn't ship and wanted to meet in person... so that's why we are going... but all of our snakes are technically HIS... so I want my own lol. And Im sure he will pick up something else at Tinley since we are there... so I want to get something of my own... if I dont find anything I wont be mad though... there are some other shows that are closer here coming up that I can go to...

He just keeps asking if I am going to buy a snake at the show... I told him if I did it wouldn't be something expensive...
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Male enchi. The female enchi has been in high demand and males are reasonable and can produce the same morphs, along with more female enchis.

Or

A het for Clown female. I know of a good deal here locally, but either way, I think a good investment. You can get a pastel het clown male for cheap.

What snakes did you have again? Maybe we can recommend a great compliment. Do you have a female vanilla by any chance?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:35 pm

No female vanilla we currently have:

1.2 Bumblebee
1.1 Albino
0.1 Mojave
0.1 Butter
1.0 Lesser
0.1 Pastel
0.1 Orange Ghost
1.0 Pinstripe

And after Tinley it will be 1.2 Albino plus whatever else he picks up... I have no problem not getting anything and just goin for the ride but if something is a good deal, I might pick it up... just looking for ideas..

Nick you know the situation I am in and why I insist I get my own lol.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

And all things considering... I could probably snag the Pastel as mine..
Back to top Go down
Don

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:44 pm

I think that is a good choice. Pastels are very versatile in the combinations they can make. Looking at your list, you might want to consider a spider as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 pm

I don't think you need a spider just breed one of your bees to a normal then you'll have spiders and pastels
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

smb2585 wrote:
No female vanilla we currently have:

1.2 Bumblebee
1.1 Albino
0.1 Mojave
0.1 Butter
1.0 Lesser
0.1 Pastel
0.1 Orange Ghost
1.0 Pinstripe

And after Tinley it will be 1.2 Albino plus whatever else he picks up... I have no problem not getting anything and just goin for the ride but if something is a good deal, I might pick it up... just looking for ideas..

Nick you know the situation I am in and why I insist I get my own lol.

The norm is a good idea! Get a big, ready-to-breed girl, QT her before the season starts, breed her to one (or three) of "his" males, and you got a whole clutch (or at least half) that are yours. Then trade out any duplicates and vary it up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 2:10 pm

That sounds like a good idea... I think I will get a norm female... and worst case I can probably snag the pastel... he doesnt like her and always wants to sell her anyway... I think she is beautiful Smile And then I can save the money I dont spend a Tinley and do something useful at one of the shows here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:02 am

YAY!!

Do you guys have an incubator running yet?
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am

No, that and another rack will be necessary purchases in the very near future... maybe we will get lucky and find something good this weekend... I am overly excited..
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Are you going to build or buy an incubator? I suggest building since you have time. I like to search for the glass front, wine coolers/chillers. They usually already have a fan built in that can be easily rewired with an old cell phone charger. I have one that's really neat and gives you the temps on the outside of the egg tub, and has individual lights that can be turned on so you can look and light up the eggs without opening the door. After some heat tape, wiring, and a thermostat, it's ready to go.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:40 pm

lmao...... easy enough
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Yea I think we might build one... we looked at ones that people made and such and they were selling and between Miles and one of my MacGyver uncles, it can only be but so hard. My uncle literally is like MacGyver... fixes lawnmowers, XBoxes with the ring of death, copy machines, photo printer machines, you name it he can probably fix it... we should probably start getting the materials and such together to make it though. And worse comes to worse we know a fellow herper that would be willing to help us too. Just requires a trip to Maryland lol.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Ah there's plenty people in Va that can help ya! Wink
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:54 pm

Are you offering?

Damn floor control Sad

Flood control is active on this forum, please wait 30 second(s) before replying or posting
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 9:29 am

Yeah I can help y'all out. It's really easy as long as all the basics are met. You're gonna need:

A cooler, fridge, minifridge, or something of the sort.

An appropriate amount of heat tape dependant upon the choice above.

One, maybe two extension cords and heat tape clamps.

Aluminum tape.

A thermostat, I recommend a Ranco on/off.

A random, old, computer fan (or two, again dependant upon the size of the incubator). I may have an extra one.

An old phone charger for the fan (I have to check the specs)

Maybe a battery back up?

and you should be good to go.

Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 am

Sounds like a plan then. Maybe we will start collecting materials when we get back. I think we may actually have a good amount of that stuff laying around... does a laptop fan work?? I have a laptop with a busted screen that I dont use anymore lol. Plenty of old cell chargers. Need T-Stat, battery back up, cooler/fridge/etc, aluminum tape (we probably have that back there with the HVAC crap in warehouse at work), and heat tape clamps. ohhhhhh so excitingggg... little babies.

Ah and my "friend" that I house sat/dog sat for was thinking of either getting her son a dog or a snake for christmas... i told her go with the snake... that way if I house sit again, i dont have to walk 2 dogs... she was like "well how much are snakes" and i was like "ohhhh it depends, i can show you ones you have never seen or heard of in your entire life" lol... she said shed rather just get a normal plain one because its not like hes going to breed it... Sad
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 am

I've never seen a laptop fan, but it should work.

While you are at tinley, I would grab a few feet of 11" heat tape and the clamps. If you order online, you'll spend more in shipping, lol, or close to it.

If you do get the Ranco, get one that isn't wired. I have the instructions on how to wire them and they are a lot cheaper this way, plus you get to add your own choice of wiring. A big nice surge protector should also be on that list... for the Ranco.

Get the aluminum tape at work if you can. That stuff is at least $10-14 at the store.

I watch the "free" section on craigslist and you can find a broken fridge or cooler on there once in a while. I found a huge Coke display case once... really nice, but I had to drive 9024937529475 miles to go get it Sad
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Thats a bummer. yea I will go through our warehouse here and see what I can scrounge up first lol. and Print out your list and take it to Tinley.

Freaking one day to go.. I get more excited the more I think about it. I wanna do a little happy dance!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cheap but useful?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cheap but useful??   Cheap but useful?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheap but useful??
Page 1 of 1