VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fauna for the Future...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Fauna for the Future... Empty
PostSubject: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

This is a new program that a few buddies have come up with and we are trying to spread the word! It is in the beginning stages but once the school year is in full swing, we will hopefully be putting reptiles in the classroom!! There will be a curriculum and a vet that is available at all times via phone should any questions need to be addressed. Again, this is in the beginning stages, so please bare with me while we get everything in order. I will post more information as it comes. I am the representative for the state of Virginia. Please contact me if you are a teacher or know of any who would possibly be interested in this program. This is the first step to getting rid of all of the bogus laws that are trying to be passed against us and the reptile community. In the meantime, please like our page and spread the word!!!

https://www.facebook.com/FaunaForTheFuture
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Excellent!

I don't know if this is the direction you're heading, but the owner of Reptiles Alive! has made a living and a nice business out of educating young people about herps in Northern VA.

http://www.reptilesalive.com/
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm

It could end up there one day.....but in reality all we are trying to do is spread the good word about reptiles and if money is involved in the long run cool, if not no biggie!
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:28 pm

would anyone here like to help me spread the word?? if so let me know! We are looking for breeders and such to do shows as well.

If you know any teachers please refer them to the site. There will be a website specifically for this program as well as a forum that teachers can discuss things on as well as ask for help etc from us.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 pm

We have done this for several schools, from pre-schools up through middle schools. I think it was most fun with the last middle school we did. We had a 90 minute class with all 7th graders (over 300 students in all) and it fit perfectly into their curriculum. We discussed genetics, predator prey behavior, native herp conservation, etc. The biology teacher said it worked really well because we reinforced her lessons through the year and the students got to see a practical application of what she had been teaching.

Also, if you ever do a class for a school, be sure to promote Virginia Herp Society's web page as well. It helps to discuss native species.

My wife said some guy in a suit came buy listened for a few minutes and told her that this needs to be done in more schools than just the one Middle School we were teaching. Not sure if he was from administration or not. So, I believe the schools are receptive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 pm

thats good to hear Don! Thanks for the input!
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:37 pm

I will tell couple of the science teachers I know. One of them does have some kind of reptile in his class every year so he would probably be interested. Smile
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Lokielani wrote:
I will tell couple of the science teachers I know. One of them does have some kind of reptile in his class every year so he would probably be interested. Smile

Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:23 pm

You are welcome to any of the educational material on the VHS website:
http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/education/edu-material.htm

If you would like a flyer I'd be happy to help. You come-up with the text and I'll supply the graphics. We could make it a PDF, something anyone can print out and display.

In addition to the schools, nature centers, local and state parks are good places to promote.

List of VA nature centers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nature_centers_in_the_United_States

Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Shelleyshadows

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm

LOVE the idea of herps in schools. My bio teacher had a terrarium with anoles, a red-tail boa, and even black widows in the classroom...And I believe when my sister was teaching the 'care of domestic animals' class in Blacksburg, they had a ball python. They're great teaching tools and anything that will teach kids about snakes and what to do when you're around them to reduce any accidents would be great!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Please like our page if you haven't already and keep in touch with us. We have a forum in the very beginning stages that will be able to be used by all teachers participating in our program. The website is also being worked on.

Go here and "Like" us!!!

https://www.facebook.com/FaunaForTheFuture
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fauna for the Future...   Fauna for the Future... Empty

Back to top Go down

Fauna for the Future...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: