VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hognose - Venomous or Not?

Go down 
+7
rocialhabit
Jaded_Heart
Bobbykaizer
leftoflarry
jw
Don
ClarkeReptiles
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Hognose - Venomous or Not? Empty
PostSubject: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am

I've heard conflicting information about western hognose. I've heard they are rear fanged and venomous, but because their fangs are in the back of their mouth it is incredibly hard for them to bite you. Even if they did bite you, the venom is considered mild and only really affects those who have an allergy to it.

On the other hand, I was at a reptile show back in May and I was speaking with someone who breeds them. He stated it was more their saliva that people tend to have a reaction to and that they are actually not venomous.

So, what's the truth with these guys?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Don

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am

Your first statement is correct.

See this: http://www.herpnet.net/bite/
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 am

Hog-nosed snakes are slightly venomous. Like many colubirds, (especially non-constrictors) hognose snakes have Duvernoy glands. Duvernoy glands are similar to venom glands and are divided into three different types:

Type I - Produces a combination of mucous and proteins. (least dangerous)
Type II - Produces only proteins.
Type III - Produces only proteins and has an enlarged storage capacity. (most dangerous)

Hog-nosed snakes also have heterodont dentition (teeth of different sizes) with enlarged rearward-placed teeth and type I Duvernoy glands.

In most cases bites from our native hog-nosed snakes are a non-issue. In some cases people show a slight reaction to the bite. In rare cases, people that are hypersensitive to the mucous and or protein experience itching, swelling and possibly more severe symptoms.

While hog-hosed snake are technically slightly venomous, I try not to use that term as it gives people yet another excuse to kill a harmless snake.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:17 pm

jw wrote:

While hog-hosed snake are technically slightly venomous, I try not to use that term as it gives people yet another excuse to kill a harmless snake.

Excellent explanation....and I agree, using the term venomous for hognose snakes lends people to believe they are dangerous and they are not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:47 pm

yep to both of you guys. when someone hears that particular word in a sentence that seems to be all they hear... then they dont think twice about harming them
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks everyone! I really want to work with hognose soon so I just wanted to clear that up before I jump in and get one. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:33 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
Thanks everyone! I really want to work with hognose soon so I just wanted to clear that up before I jump in and get one. Smile

I think you'll be fine. They are great snakes to work with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Jaded_Heart

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Agree with all of the above! Look at it this way. Virginia's reptile expos are "Non-Venomous Only" shows... and I've NEVER been to a show in Virginia and NOT seen a decent number of Hognose snakes available there! :-D

Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
rocialhabit

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 am

My dad knew a guy who kept a lot of them and he never mentioned them being venomous. The ones he had were very calm with great temperament.

I was looking into getting a hognose and had no idea. I figured it was something to do with their saliva. I guess you learn something every day.
Back to top Go down
jakethesnake
jakethesnake

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I just got my first one about a month back and is already one of my favorite snaks. My 7 yr old handles him all the time with no issues.

I think they will be my first Snake breeding project. Anyone have any advice on that???

Thanks
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes, for a breeding project you'll need at least one male and one female.
Back to top Go down
jakethesnake
jakethesnake

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Very good advice JW. It sounds like I'm 1/2 way there.
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 pm

jw wrote:
Yes, for a breeding project you'll need at least one male and one female.

Best advice I've ever read.

Also, honestly a hog nose bite is no worse then any other puncture wound or even a lot of larger lizard bites. I personally have to treat everything as if it was venomous due to no immune system and being allergic to everything but most people have no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 pm

I love Hoggies, and I think if I ever started keeping non-boids again, it'd be in Hogs or Bulls. Or some of the big Rat snake species. I love how much personality those little guys have!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Kittiekat149

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 2:05 am

Do hog noses have liver problems when it comes to feeding just small mammals? I've read where that will shorten their life span.
Back to top Go down
Beefey
Beefey

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 am

Regardless, They make good pets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hognose - Venomous or Not?   Hognose - Venomous or Not? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hognose - Venomous or Not?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: