VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

field collecting yes or no?

Go down 
+3
jamesearl
smd58
dennis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dennis

field collecting yes or no? Empty
PostSubject: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 am

I have been into reptile my whole life(mostly swnakes) but I got out of them when my kids were small.Its been about 15 years and alot of things have changed but I really want to get back into breeding.I want to field collect because it will grow my collection,add new blood,and there are alot of local snakes I enjoy!My wife says this is wrong that I should not remove snakes from the wild.What do you guys think?I have always kept wild-caught snakes...please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 pm

I use to field collect corns, I never took all that I found and as hard as was not to i never took a known gravid snake.
Back to top Go down
jamesearl
jamesearl

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't know that it's a right or wrong answer. The biggest thing is make sure what your taking is legal. After that it's up to you. I prefer CB stuff mainly because to me a CB snake only has known an enclosure and has not been pulled out of the wild where it knew the whole world so to speak as it's enclosure. To me a CB snake take a cage better and doesn't seem as deterred by it. But as long as you take care of it, house it properly, feed it water it then to me it's all about personal preference. I know folks that have recently taken in snakes that were pulled out of the swamp area that if it had not happened would have more then likely died so in that case who could say its bad. As long as your ok with it in your heart and head i would say its all good.

take care
Wink
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Do it, but just remember moderation! Not everysnake you find is going to be benifical to your collection. And as long as you can properly take care of them, and if you keep a snake the a month or two DONT RELEASE it back to the wild. Its not right moraly. But other then that have fun, and remember there are alot of cb local species for sale
Back to top Go down
fuzz
Established Member+
Established Member+

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 pm

I just like the hunt trying to find them always seened fun to me. I have my son with me now we catch take afew pics then release where we found them.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I like looking whenever I'm in the country. I would probably keep some if I had an extra snake room or didn't have my other snakes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Cp3_Pythons

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Here is the link for an APPLICATION TO POSSESS, PROPAGATE, BUY AND SELL
CERTAIN WILDLIFE IN VIRGINIA.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms/PERM/PERM-016.pdf

Some localities do have other regulations. As mentioned above, the game and inland fisheries website is the real source for information on the state level, that's www.dgif.virginia.gov

Before you KEEP anything you catch that's native to the area CHECK STATE AND LOCAL LAW'S.... While It may be ok in one county it may not be ok in another
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Some good info there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: field collecting yes or no?   field collecting yes or no? Empty

Back to top Go down

field collecting yes or no?
Page 1 of 1