VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Screen lid replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
answerinbelle

Screen lid replacement Empty
PostSubject: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a 40g breeder tank for my Baird's. I have your typical screen lid on there now, but between the humidity problems and the kitty jumping on it, I need something better. Anyone have any ideas or plans for a better lid that is humidity keeping, cat proof, and escape proof?

I could always just keep plywood over it, but I am extremely paranoid of escapes. My boy came to me with a history of escaping.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 pm

I thought of making a lid once for a tank but never went through with it. I was going to take 2"x4" boards and cut/frame them into a box that would fit over the top. I was going to use glass tracks you can get at home depot and get either glass or plexi cut to fit. This idea would work with the tank standing up in a traditional manner, or on it's side. Here's a rough drawing I just did:

Screen lid replacement Tankframe

The drilled boards look horrible, but that would be for ventilation and can be replaced with plexi glass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 3:12 pm

I have seen people attach pegboard to the screen lid and cut ot circles for heat lamps. It was on a 75 g tank. They said it really helped with humidity.
Back to top Go down
answerinbelle

PostSubject: Re: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Do you know how they attached the pegboard to the screen lid? I like the idea, it would definitely hold up to the kitty.

I really like the lid Focal, but I don't have access to the tools needed, unfortunately. My dad has a whole work shop full, but since he doesn't know I have a snake I would be hard pressed to explain! (He hates them and I would like him to visit me again at some point)
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm pretty sure he just used some kind of epoxy and glued it top of the metal frame. The 75g lid also had a brace across the middle. Not sure if a 40 does or not.
Back to top Go down
answerinbelle

PostSubject: Re: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 3:34 pm

The 40 doesn't have a brace, but the metal edge of the screen would hold it. Think I will look into pegboard at the hardware store next week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screen lid replacement   Screen lid replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Screen lid replacement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: General Care Discussion-
Jump to: