VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Swollen jaw

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:12 pm

My male ball python has a swollen bottom (left and right side) jaw. I have already taken him to the vet and have him on meds for any infection. He stopped eating i believe just before i started breeding him. I read this post http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?165860-Chronic-Mouth-Swelling-need-advice/page2 and a few people say its because they rub up against their cage. I did not notice any swelling until after i started breeding him. Now i have notice he is in his cage non stop trying to get out and when i slide his bin open just slightly he is quick to make moves to escape.

1st...Is he being so active and non stop trying to get out of his cage because he is looking for the female?
(she is in the rack right below him but just finished and put them in the rack in the past week)

2nd...Do you think that his jaw might be swelling up because he is non stop rubbing his face against the cage?
(smooth plastic Serilite with holes melted into them)
Link to someone with same issue

3rd...Should I and if so when should I assist feed?

Sad plz help
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 am

I would not assist feed, wait until spring after he's out of breeding mode.

If something is wrong with any of my snakes, I remove them from breeding for the year unless they are 110% better. I would move him further away from the female and give him a very mild soap bath, like you would after removing a female from her eggs, and clean the heck out of his enclosure if you introduced her to his space. The lingering scent will continue to rawl him up.

It's hard to say anything about the jaw without seeing it. Is it inflammation or infection? I don't have very much experience with rubbing other than small dots on the top of their nose. If it's just one side swollen and I had to guess, I would say it might not be fromm rubbing. When I see males pushing around the enclosure looking for girls, they never seem partial to one side.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:35 am

he has been non stop active this past week trying to get out every time i have checked on him. Rubs his face so much the top is swelling. when he is in with girl he calms down so guess that is why. The vet didnt find anything after running test but decided should treat it just like an infection. He said could be due to low humidity (was having trouble getting it up) It started to go away until this week when he decided to dedicate all his time to trying to get out...

ty for your input
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 am

Do you have any pics?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 pm

tried to get some but cam died
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:42 pm

got him in bottom rack and female in top and he has calmed down...first time iv seen him curled up and resting in a while
Back to top Go down
dj6884
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
dj6884

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:02 pm

if his face is still swollen i suggest vetricine you can spray it in the eyes and in mouth and wont harm your animal its recomended for all animals i had a rat get my female ballpython her mouth swelled up and two days of spraying it on her the swelling is gone
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 pm

how shouldi use this to cure a respiratory or intrnal infection?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swollen jaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swollen jaw   Swollen jaw Empty

Back to top Go down

Swollen jaw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: General Care Discussion-
Jump to: