VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID on Bug found in house?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

ID on Bug found in house? Empty
PostSubject: ID on Bug found in house?   ID on Bug found in house? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Alright, so I realize it's a long shot without a picture but I wanted to see if anyone had an idea on what bug this is based on the description.

Twice now, I've found the same bug in the bathroom that looks very similar to the German cockroach except it's about 2 inches long. I wish I could get a pic but it moves like lightening and both attempts to catch (or kill) failed. I know water bug is on the tips of everyone's tongues but it definitely was not a water bug. It looked different and was also reddish black. I've never heard of them getting that big (german cockroaches, not water beetles) and it was a single one in a bathroom which is the farthest room possible from the kitchen. I'm guessing it's some bug that wandered in from outside to escape the cold and is not (hopefully) a pest.

Any ideas on what it could be from the admittedly poor description?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: ID on Bug found in house?   ID on Bug found in house? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 pm

My guesses:
Tile-horned Prionus (Prionus imbricornis)
Pole Borer (Parandra brunnea)
Ground Beetle (Harpalus caliginosus) or H. katiae
Stag Beetle (Lucanus capreolus)
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: ID on Bug found in house?   ID on Bug found in house? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am

Lepisma saccharina, frequently called silverfish, fishmoths, carpet sharks or paramites.

Credit goes to Wikipedia cuz I am not smart enough to puke all that scientific jargon.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

PostSubject: Re: ID on Bug found in house?   ID on Bug found in house? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for the responses! I googled imaged all of the pictures and I think the lepisma saccharina is closest but I'm not completely sold. I'm going to start treating the bathroom as if it is though just in case.

I wish it had been a stag beetle though, that's a very cool looking bug!
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: ID on Bug found in house?   ID on Bug found in house? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Let us know if you find out what it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID on Bug found in house?   ID on Bug found in house? Empty

Back to top Go down

ID on Bug found in house?
Page 1 of 1