VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bonjour from Rva (804)

Go down 
+4
ClarkeReptiles
jw
Focal
blackfish707
8 posters
AuthorMessage
blackfish707
blackfish707

Bonjour from Rva (804) Empty
PostSubject: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 am

Hey guys, name's Delaney. Just found out about this forum from a coworker (Axolotl Girl) and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at some of the great information on here. I have a small collection currently including a Bearded, Uri, three Leos, and a BP. No one ever warned me that reptiles are like tattoos or I probably would have steered clear altogether, but alas, I've caught the bug. Just picked up the BP this past December at the Hamburg, PA show and trying not to add anything for a while (currently moving). Dream herp is an albino RTB, but I'm trying to convince myself to hold off on one until I'm out of school. I also volunteer at an aquarium teaching people about various animals including some really cool reptilians (Monitor lizards, Death Adder, crocodilians, ETB, various poison dart frogs, etc.) which helps to further curb the impulse to collect.

That's it in a nutshell. Looking forward to being a member!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am

Welcome Delaney!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 9:48 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:02 am

Welcome! Where is the aquarium? I never knew we had one close to Richmond.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Don

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 am

Welcome Delaney. Glad you're here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:01 am

Welcome, your volunteer work sounds like a great place.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:09 am

welcome!!
Back to top Go down
blackfish707
blackfish707

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
Welcome! Where is the aquarium? I never knew we had one close to Richmond.

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I actually volunteer at the Baltimore Aquarium on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. I'm an aspiring marine mammal trainer, and they're the closest facility around housing bottlenose dolphins. We have a huge collection of lizards, snakes, frogs, turtles, and tortoises. If you guys ever find yourself up there, take a look!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Now thats a job I would love to have.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:02 pm

What does it take to volunteer there? I would love to work in marine biology (working in an aquarium) but I need to get my butt back into college first. I've never been to that aquarium. I'll definitely have to make a trip up there some weekend. Smile
Back to top Go down
blackfish707
blackfish707

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:39 pm

smd58 wrote:
Now thats a job I would love to have.

Haha, talking about reptiles or playing with dolphins? Jesse, they interview/hire volunteers every fall and then there's a month-long training program where you go in twice a week. Once you pass your test after training they send out acceptance letters and you can begin volunteering. It's a little extensive, but it is the National Aquarium and they have a lot of influential and international guests come through. You have to commit to one 3.5hr shift a week for the first year. It's a huge commitment for me, seeing as I live in Rva, but if you live closer it's totally worth it.

You can find out more about it at the website here.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I'm also in Richmond, Va so it would be quite the drive for me too. But I bet it is such an experience! Do they have any specific requirements (training or education level?) to apply?
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member
Axolotl Girl

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Delaney, glad to see you decided to join! Smile
Back to top Go down
blackfish707
blackfish707

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Jesse, there are no prerequisites to volunteer. Our staff consists of everything from retired firefighters to doctors and lawyers, teachers, high school students, biologists, etc. We have a smorgasbord of backgrounds at the aquarium. It is a long drive, but I look forward to it each week. It's always nice to get out of Richmond for a day!

Hey Amanda! Yeah, it took me long enough!
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:41 pm

We are now planning a trip to go up and see the aquarium. I have two dream jobs. Become a professional reptile breeder and work as a Marine Biologist at an aquarium.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonjour from Rva (804)   Bonjour from Rva (804) Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonjour from Rva (804)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Welcome to VaHerps! :: Welcomes and Introductions-
Jump to: