VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Big Snakes

Go down 
+4
Foster Reves
Morta_Dae13
Docwade87
ClarkeReptiles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 am

Seriously considering buying a few snakes because of this proposed ban. I really want to get into the larger species but I have no experience. The largest snake I own is a 4-4.5ft Columbian red tail boa. She's still growing. If this ban goes into effect I will never get to experience having a big snake. So im considering getting a baby burn or two to raise up. I was thinking a male and female. But how fast do they grow? Is there any way to get experience before getting them?

Any advice?
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

I understand where you are coming from!! I personally would wait until we can get this ban worked out. Otherwise it is going to be illegal to even posses any of the listed snakes. Not to say you can't have one under the table, but it is a risk I would look into for right now.

I have never kept burms or retics for that matter, so I cannot help you with deciding between the two.

Also, are you able to help us out at all with fighting this bill?
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 am

I want to help fight it, of course. I was going to send emails tomorrow (im on my phone right now and it would be far too difficult to try and send out all of those emails from my phone. I can send them tomorrow from work since I have internet access there.

There are a few big snakes I.want to get. Burns, retics, and olive pythons.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 am

like all snakes there realy isnt an exact time frame for how big they will be. i mean if you dont feed them as freequently then they dont grow as fast. then there is also genetics and gender. i think the males are smaller and grow a slight bit slower. my friend has a 2 yr old burm that is only 8ft now and she feeds him fairly regularly. i mean as long as you dont power feed em they shouldnt grow too fast. i think at end of first year they can be between 6-8' depending.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 am

well it wont be illegal if the animal is gotten before july 1 and if you have a record that you got the animal before that time then it would enact the "grandfather" clause which will enable you to keep said animal without any issues. you just cannot breed or obtain another one after date.

burms dont get as big as retics thats about all i know for those two lol
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 pm

I am going to play devils advocate here and encourage you to think twice, or even three times:) before purchasing a large snake just because of the proposed ban. I am in no way against private ownership of large constrictors however as I'm sure you well know these guys get big, need larger quarters than the average casual hobbyist can provide, and can potentially be dangerous in certain circumstances. Now if a large constrictor has already been in your personal radar and you are prepared for the adult size then I would say go for it!
Chip
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 pm

great advice given Chip!! you hit it right on the dot
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Id like to get some experience before owning any of the large snakes. I just don't know where to begin. I know these snakes can be dangerous so I won't just jump into it without knowing what im doing.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Years ago when I was in college I worked at a local petstore. Frequently, especially at the end of the semesters, we would have an influx of large snakes, mostly burms, because "they just got too big". Even when we would refuse the animals they would often be on the doorstep the next morning before opening. I partially blame the owner however because he would routinely sell baby burms, retics, etc. When prospective buyers would question him about the adult size he would say something along the lines of "it takes years"...as if time was going to stand still. Some of the people bringing them back were even so delusional into thinking that they were going to get a lot of money for them. Again I am not against the ownership of large snakes but I definitely feel that they are for only a select group of responsible keepers.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Don

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Also, checkout Satan on snakebytesTV. That is not a gentle snake by any means.

http://snakebytes.tv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296&Itemid=14

At the 5 minute mark

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm

not too smart of a video IMO, rather quite idiotic. For one Satan or whatever her name is is not even being housed correctly nor are any of the other snakes talked about either. I would be pissed as well. I have never seen this website before. Thats exactly what we need floating around right at this time considering all the laws and bans that are coming out lol....

Last edited by Docwade87 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
anacondaman123

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Seeing you live in richmond get a hold of a good friend matt miller or shay..they deal with snakes..im n virginia beach so cant exactly help you out with advice n handling.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Very interesting video. I look forward to this evening when I can watch the whole thing. I will hold my opinions until then:)
Chip
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 3:30 pm

HAHAHAHA ahh that was awsome
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Ill try to get in touch with someone that keeps giants. In the meantime I'll be doing a lot of research. In the end, boas may be the largest I go.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Docwade87

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
Ill try to get in touch with someone that keeps giants. In the meantime I'll be doing a lot of research. In the end, boas may be the largest I go.

It might be a good decision. Just weigh out your options. Bigger isn't always better!!!
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 pm

I made it about 4 minutes into the video but I am sleepy now. Impressive rack systems but I agree the snakes seemed cramped. My impression is that he is a Steve Irwin wannabe.
Chip
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:12 pm

SnakeBytes tv is REALLY popular in the reptile world... *will watch the movie later*
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ClarkeReptiles

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 am

I like the Snakebytes tv shows. The giants he keeps could be kept in larger enclosures yes, but people also get on our case for keeping ball pythons in tubs, saying they are too cramped. I have a 1000g female that will only eat if she is kept in a 16qt tub. Any larger or smaller and she doesn't eat.

If his snakes are feeding and breeding well, I see no problem with the size of the enclosure. If I were to keep giants though I'd opt for larger enclosures.

I know that larger isn't always better but I've always liked them but never had the opportunity to get some experience with them. Well, once, I was invited up to a big breeder's facility. They were willing to give me some hands on experience with large snakes to see if I liked it but because they were several states away, I had to decline.

Back to top Go down
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
pksnipr

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

If his snakes are feeding and breeding well, I see no problem with the size of the enclosure. If I were to keep giants though I'd opt for larger enclosures.

i agree. i have heard the stories that have circulated lately about bhb however, i don't think there is a better face for the hobby than brian. he definitely cares about all of his animals as well as the hobby. and just for a little background the guy made his name being one of the first people to succesfully breed and market albino burms. think about where the hobby would be right now if that had never happened.

Back to top Go down
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
pksnipr

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

that top part is a quote from Clarkereptiles. don't know why the bars didn't show up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Big Snakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Snakes   Big Snakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Snakes
Page 1 of 1