VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chesterfield County

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

Chesterfield County  Empty
PostSubject: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm

In-situ Black Racer
Chesterfield County  Photo3

Neonate Queen Snake (I think it was going into its first shed)
Chesterfield County  Photo21

Juvenile Northern Watersnake
Chesterfield County  Photo11
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 3:07 pm

See you're finding a few things out here Smile
Back to top Go down
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Yes sir! Never thought i'd find anything being surrounded by a school, giant apartment complexes, and midlo turnpike.. I guess I have luck on my side!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Well done! I went out today for a few hours and only saw green treefrogs and couple painted turtles.
Back to top Go down
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Thank you! I see tons of painted turtles every time I go out and quite a few red-eared sliders too!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 am

I've seen an Eastern Six-Lined Race Runner for the first time ever personally in Chesterfield this weekend.

I also helped a couple of box turtles cross the road Friday.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Nice! Thanks for helping the box turtles!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 6:33 am

Normally its 1-2 a week or, lately haven't seen any. I typically help them acrossed the road opposed to relocating them unless its a residential area. And yes I've found them on a side walk in colonial heights where there is no possible habitat for them around.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 am

That's great! We need more people willing to help box turtles.

Please do not relocate box turtles. Virginia along with several other states is having an issue with box turtles contracting and/or carrying Ranavirus. By doing a seemly good deed of relocating a box turtle you may inadvertently help spread the virus. For additional information see: http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/disease/
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Good to know, good read.

I only relocate when I saw them directly in the city and this has happened with a box turtle once, and a Red Ear Slider once (one was by a shopping mall in colonial heights the box turtle) the Red Ear Slider was also in colonial heights in a residential neighboorhood where there was a small pond about 2 miles away I figured someone picked him up brought him home.

This is the course of 3 years, I've probably helped 50 or so Turtles cross the road.

In the event of a Box turtle being in a shopping center with no logical place to go what is the best bet to do with it?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 1:36 pm

If you find a box turtle in an unsuitable location it is best to get it to a licensed rehabber:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/injured/rehabilitators.asp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chesterfield County    Chesterfield County  Empty

Back to top Go down

Chesterfield County
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: Field Herping-
Jump to: