VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding rabbits

Go down 
+2
jw
Vergesseneins
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Someone here has to know something. I looked on net but cant seem to find anything but 1st time issues. I am breeding rabbits but this female keeps eating her babies. The first time she had three and they all were alive but died (staved) then she NOM NOM NOMd them. But this morning she had one in cage almost all the way eaten! I did not see any signs of more and i never saw this one alive so could have been still born but before i wait another month to find out there is still something wrong i figured i would ask here as these are breeder/feeders.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:55 pm

forgot to mention she didnt even begin to build a nest 1st or 2nd time
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/having_baby_bunnies_questions.htm

"Rabbits eat their young for two reasons. They are either malnourished themselves and instinct tells them they are going to be unable to care for them and they will put their own survival first.

The other reason for cannibalism is to protect the young from predators.

Unless you just found the rabbit and she doesn't know who you are, she isn't likely to perceive you as a predator. Many sources recommend putting vanilla or Vicks on the doe's nose so she can't smell your scent but I honestly have never had a doe kill her babies after I handled them.

Stray cats, rodents and dogs around the hutch are likely to provoke a cannibalistic response so they simple solution is to provide your doe with a nice quiet place where she feels safe.

It is recommended to take each baby out of the nest every day to be sure none have died. The Mother knows your scent and shouldn't object. Some does are very protective and may lunge at you when you investigate the nest. It is a good idea to pet Mom first, then remove the box to inspect the kits."
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 3:51 pm

read about them not feeling safe but she is not even attempting to build the nest before kits arrive. Thank you for the info i will try to make her feel more secure but would that also cause her not to build nest?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:24 pm

You may want to consider a new female. Perhaps this one is just missing the mom gene?
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:53 pm

It could be the malnourishment then. You could try giving a variety of supplements like clover, dandelions, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:58 pm

I would try nursing them yourself or bottle feed them Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm

cant nurse them when ther is only tail spine and only meat form shoulders up...will bring it to you so you can try
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:26 pm

and will try the supplements thank you...everyone tryin to help but this focal guy
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Nick makes a valid point... lol!
Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:31 am

Feed off the mom and get a new one.. I wouldn't even put too much thoughts into that. Or just sell her as a proven breeder/cannibalistic/selfish/paranoid/member of Charles Mansons family kind of rabbit girl... dang, and i thought rabbits are cute.. Evil or Very Mad

...lol Nick..
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

lol just didnt feel like growin up another rabbit but i guess time put into tryin with her i could have just got another
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Someone just listed a free rabbit in the free section on CL.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm

There is also an ad a few down for free bunnies.
Back to top Go down
saphdrag99
Established Member
Established Member
saphdrag99

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:33 pm

I have been breeding rabbits for a long time and the only thing I can say is that if she isn't trying to build a nest then she just doesn't want to be a mom. When is the nesting box being put in? Maybe its in to early or to late? After the second time is a failure I normally don't use that doe for breeding anymore.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm

guess it is about time for her to go
Back to top Go down
saphdrag99
Established Member
Established Member
saphdrag99

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Might be. Try giving her bacon just before she kits. If that doesn't work then I would get rid of her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breeding rabbits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding rabbits   Breeding rabbits Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding rabbits
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Feeding and Feeders-
Jump to: