VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. Empty
PostSubject: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:36 pm

wanna breed my female bp with a blood python. what are the chances of them actually breeding and what do you think the temperments will be since blood pythons have a temper. also think its profitable if i wanted to sell them? lots of questions about this.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 pm

i think im gonna try it out. in that site you left though he said it took him 4 years to accomplish it so i think im gonna have a hell of a time to get em to breed.
Back to top Go down
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Don't cross breed!
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 4:25 pm

why not?
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I think hybridizing must always be done responsibly. As said on the site linked in this forum:

Quote :
We at Roussis Reptiles stress the importance of preserving the genetic integrity of all animals, we must be responsible when breeding and selling hybrids. All hybrids should be micro chipped, and if sold should always be identified as such. Distinguishing between pure bred and hybrid animals by keeping proper records and micro chipping hybrids animals is a must. We are constantly shaping the future of herpetoculture with designer snakes, lets do it responsibly.

The danger in cross breeding is that some people will sell the animal as a pure specimen of one or the other species, which causes a whole chain of hybrids to be bred sometimes unwittingly. You may think "well it's obvious that this is not a pure bred ball python/blood python," but if someone were to then breed this hybrid to a ball python, you'd end up with something more similar in appearance to a ball python. This leads to a degradation of the gene pool...and many mutt snakes.

In my personal opinion, hybrid projects should not be undertaken lightly. First ask yourself what is your goal. If it is to make money, don't do it! If it is just because you think the offspring is "cool," don't do it! Remember that breeding snakes produces more than one offspring. You are responsible for finding each one a KNOWLEDGEABLE, honest home. This is a slippery slope, so tred carefully! Do more research too!

There are many other reasons not to hybridize, not the least of which is that many reptiles in the trade are endangered in the wild. There may come a time when those in the pet trade are all that remain to us. We're not being good caretakers of the species by mingling them to the point of confusing the genetics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
byrd'sballs
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
byrd'sballs

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:05 pm

DaganGecko wrote:
I think hybridizing must always be done responsibly. As said on the site linked in this forum:

Quote :
We at Roussis Reptiles stress the importance of preserving the genetic integrity of all animals, we must be responsible when breeding and selling hybrids. All hybrids should be micro chipped, and if sold should always be identified as such. Distinguishing between pure bred and hybrid animals by keeping proper records and micro chipping hybrids animals is a must. We are constantly shaping the future of herpetoculture with designer snakes, lets do it responsibly.

The danger in cross breeding is that some people will sell the animal as a pure specimen of one or the other species, which causes a whole chain of hybrids to be bred sometimes unwittingly. You may think "well it's obvious that this is not a pure bred ball python/blood python," but if someone were to then breed this hybrid to a ball python, you'd end up with something more similar in appearance to a ball python. This leads to a degradation of the gene pool...and many mutt snakes.

In my personal opinion, hybrid projects should not be undertaken lightly. First ask yourself what is your goal. If it is to make money, don't do it! If it is just because you think the offspring is "cool," don't do it! Remember that breeding snakes produces more than one offspring. You are responsible for finding each one a KNOWLEDGEABLE, honest home. This is a slippery slope, so tred carefully! Do more research too!

There are many other reasons not to hybridize, not the least of which is that many reptiles in the trade are endangered in the wild. There may come a time when those in the pet trade are all that remain to us. We're not being good caretakers of the species by mingling them to the point of confusing the genetics!

I agree 100 percent

Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks!

I guess I could add that there are so many GORGEOUS animals out there, so why do you feel the need to create one that is "unnatural?" I am not accusing you of this, but sometimes people hybridize animals because it is a cheap way to get something "special."
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm not down with hybrids... just my personal opinion but I love my balls and and happy with them the way they are... there are so many morphs available and the list is ever growing, i'd rather focus my time on them than a hybrid...
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 pm

well guys you have made some great points. i did not look at it that way. well there goes that idea out the window. lol. no biggy. but yea you guys make a good point. i guess it had to do with me liking blood pythons but not the temperment so much. yes i know handling them will take that down a couple knotches but the way i was lookin at it is bp's have such a good temperment that i was thinking i could get what i wanted if i cross bred them. no worrys though. you guys changed my mind with out being mean about it. appreciate the honest opinions.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 pm

It's refreshing to see someone who asks questions before leaping into a controversial project like that. Kudos to you! Smile If I were you, I would sell the blood pythons that you have (if you have any) and funnel that money into some simple ball python morphs, since you prefer the ball python temper. Look for a project that you might like to build up to.
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
ax2austin

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 11:59 pm

yea think im going to richmond sunday for the expo. hope like hell its worth it though. its a 2 hour drive from were i am
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:32 am

Same for me, but if I can find feeders there, it will definitely be worth it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.   breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions. Empty

Back to top Go down

breeding ball pythons with blood pythons. need opinions.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: