VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My little rat barn

Go down 
+3
smb2585
ezekiel21
zues
7 posters
AuthorMessage
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 4:59 pm

With all the talk of breeding rats I thought I post some pics of my rat breeding setup.

My little rat barn DSCN4420
I started with this 8 x 12 storage building that was here when I bought the house. It was just your basic building with a storage loft and pegboard nailed to the studs. I needed more height for the water buckets so I tore out the loft and raised the ceiling. I also had to add the window for my AC unit and I filled in the hole that was left from the loft door on the front. After running electric out too the building I insulated and hung drywall. I taped and mudded the drywall but it is FAR from being what one would call "finished" drywall.
My little rat barn DSCN4421
Here is what you see when you open the doors.
My little rat barn DSCN4422
I am built two racks each holding 20 tubs. I usually have 36 -38 tubs breeding at all times. I always leave one tub open on each rack to make cleaning easier. Each tub has 1 male and 2 females. I average between 600-800 rats per month with this setup. I feed all my snakes and wholesale a lot of pinkies and crawlers.
My little rat barn DSCN4423
This rack uses the large cement tubs. This is where I grow out the feeders for my snakes and my future breeders. I clean once a week and probably spend a total of about 5 hours a week between cleaning and topping off food and water.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:01 pm

awesome setup

Last edited by ezekiel21 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Looks awesome! Not sure who much space we are going to acquire but your set up is very nice!!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Thats a great set up. One of the better one ive seen, good temp control = good out put. How often you replace your breeders?
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 6:52 pm

smb2585 wrote:
Looks awesome! Not sure who much space we are going to acquire but your set up is very nice!!

Thank you. Honestly I don't keep track of my breeders like I should. If I notice a tub is slowing down I'll replace them. I should probably keep better records but right now it works for what I need. I am able to sell enough to pay for food, bedding, and power. As long as they pay for themselves and my snakes have all the food they want I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
Don

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Really nice. Do you have an A/C to keep them cool in the summer? That is almost exactly what I would like to do here. I've got my rats in a closet right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Yes I just removed the window unit last week. The building is only about 100sf so I use the smallest AC I could find with electronic thermostat. I think it's 5000 BTU. I keep it set at 75. In the winter I use a small space heater.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Very nice Clay!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 am

i cant wait till i get to this point..... first i need to get the wife over her fear of reptiles, then her hatred of rodents, then a place to keep all the rodents, then expand my collection, then get/build an incubator, then actually start breeding. it should be smooth sailing from there, lmao.
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
smb2585

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:10 am

Good Luck Ryan -- we were talking to a guy at bowling last night and he at first thought we were craaaaaazy then after we started talking to him he asks questions every week. I showed him all the pictures on my phone/camera and he asked if they had their own personalities... I immediately chimed in yes, Miles kinda shook his head at me...

I really think she will like a Bee.. Wink she can come hang out with me and see my bee girl... she is the one I introduce EVERYONE too because she is so gentle... I have no fear of her and if I were to ever get bit... I for some reason for more comfortable getting bit by her than any others... including the smaller ones we have.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 pm

ezekiel21 wrote:
i cant wait till i get to this point..... first i need to get the wife over her fear of reptiles, then her hatred of rodents, then a place to keep all the rodents, then expand my collection, then get/build an incubator, then actually start breeding. it should be smooth sailing from there, lmao.

Keep doing what you are doing and don't push her to hard. When you start hatching babies that are worth a few thousand a piece she'll come around. They always do.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 3:58 pm

zues wrote:
ezekiel21 wrote:

Keep doing what you are doing and don't push her to hard. When you start hatching babies that are worth a few thousand a piece she'll come around. They always do.

LMAO, your probably right...... she loves money.
Back to top Go down
Christopher
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Christopher

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Wish I had that kind of room!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My little rat barn Empty
PostSubject: Re: My little rat barn   My little rat barn Empty

Back to top Go down

My little rat barn
Page 1 of 1