VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New here...and already have a question to ask

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kimmikat6487
kimmikat6487

New here...and already have a question to ask Empty
PostSubject: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm

I have a female 100% het pied. The day I brought her home, she ate, and ate about once a week for about a month. Then she just stopped (about 3/4 weeks ago). I thought it was because she was cold, so I turned up her heat light, and put warm water in her tank. Still nothing. Do they go through the winter fasting that young? She is about 95g.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 pm

At 95 grams, they shouldn't go on a prolonged fast. Three to four weeks is not too long, but I'd offer food every three to five days. Do you have a digital scale? If so, you need to keep an eye on her weight. Also, do you have a temp gun? If not, it would be a good investment. You can get them pretty cheap at many hardware stores.

Ball pythons don't eat because of husbandry, they are nervous, or they are not hungry. You just need to see which one it is. Do you have two tight hides, one on the cool side and one on the warm side? Are you consistent in your food? What are you feeding her? What about humidity?

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
mamasmarco

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 pm

see if you can hear her whistle when you got her out. Does your heat light warm up the bottom of the tank enough? Make sure she has a warm belly. Their digestive system requires warmth (belly heat). Maybe you should put a heat pad/heat tape under your enclosure.. You'd be surprised how good they eat once the belly heat is set to about 89 to 90 degrees..
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
kimmikat6487
kimmikat6487

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for the replies. I am putting a smaller hide in her cage, she only has one on the cool side. I'm in the market for a temp gun, especially since I'm about to bring home a Killer Bee, and I want to be sure the temps stay right for him.
Back to top Go down
Peri-Itsy
Established Member
Established Member
Peri-Itsy

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 pm

You really should take Marco's advice and invest in a heat mat and a proper thermostat/rheostat. Heat lamps were not intended for ball pythons who live on a tropical floor in the shade, underground and come out at night. They rely on the earths surface for heat
Back to top Go down
Peri-Itsy
Established Member
Established Member
Peri-Itsy

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

By the way I have a heat pad, thermostat, rock hide, carpets, rock bowl, fake plants and a 40 breeder for $150
Back to top Go down
kimmikat6487
kimmikat6487

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 pm

I am actually building a rack, so if anyone has heat tape for sale, that would be helpful. We have too many ball pythons to have them all in tanks
Back to top Go down
kimmikat6487
kimmikat6487

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 pm

She finally ate!! She was in sneaky preshed!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New here...and already have a question to ask   New here...and already have a question to ask Empty

Back to top Go down

New here...and already have a question to ask
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: