VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reward for abuser of Burmese

Go down 
+7
Lokielani
jw
Grymm
leftoflarry
DaganGecko
Vergesseneins
Don
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Don

Reward for abuser of Burmese Empty
PostSubject: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:28 pm

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/04/humane_society_offers_reward_f.html

Kind of makes one wonder if the recent ban had anything to do with this. Really sad story and I'm surprised that the Humane Society is offering a reward.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:50 pm

robo squirrel did it
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:19 pm

It's a trick...they did it and are pretending to be concerned because they want to get on reptile peeps' good side. :<
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:29 pm

No..this is the HSUS way of saying...see having these animals in captivity is bad. it's their way of justifying the bans they are pushing for. Fact of the matter is, as Don alluded to, this could very well be due to the ban and people are desperately trying to get rid of their snakes that they can no longer sustain. It's sad, and I think they should prosecute for animal abuse. However, this, by no means gives the HSUS a free pass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Vergesseneins wrote:
robo squirrel did it

cryingwithlaughter lol! iagree
Back to top Go down
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Its tough to see such cruelty to an animal like this at least the HSUS is doing something, but I agree no free pass its kinda one of those too little too late if you ask me
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:24 am

If you read the HSUS press release it is fairly clear that this terrible case of animal cruelty is being used to push HSUS anti-reptile propaganda.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/press_releases/2012/04/pa_python_cruelty_reward_040612.html

Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 am

I KNEW IT!!! Can't trust those people.

" Authorities are finding released or escaped pet pythons, boa constrictors, and anacondas all over the country, including several other cases in Pennsylvania, where they endanger communities, threaten ecosystems, and in many cases suffer tragic deaths. Reptile dealers commonly peddle these high-maintenance deadly predators to unqualified people at flea markets and over the Internet. In 2001, an 8-year-old Westmoreland County girl was strangled to death by her father’s 11-foot, 26-pound pet Burmese python. The HSUS recommends that people stick with traditional companion animals, such as cats and dogs, and avoid contributing to the cruel trade in exotic animals."

That's funny because Cats are the PRIMARY predators of endangered neotropical migratory birds in the US in some areas. Additionally, what about allt he cat and dog abuse? They find one incident, glamorize it in the media and then use it to generalize a whole industry, while still stigmatizing reptiles as dangerous. This is their usual tactic. Notice on the one hand they feel sorry for the python but within the same paragraph they demonize these animals as dangerous people killers...they make this generalization as if no dog has ever killed a human. This is propaganda at its finest. What if they spent all of their money to find and prosecute ALL animal abusers...and stop this lobbying agenda.... as a matter of fact, I think I'm going to write to ask them just that. Why are they spending so much money on one case of animal abuse, when there are thousands every year regarding all animals. Clearly this is part of their anti reptile agenda.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
Lokielani

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 pm

DaganGecko wrote:
It's a trick...they did it and are pretending to be concerned because they want to get on reptile peeps' good side. :<

lol!

seriously though that's very sad, and it makes it even worse the humane society is using to benefit them
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
BlackboxStar

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 12:52 am

"this mortally wounded snake was put in a room with warmers and the veterinary staff watched as he stretched out against the blankets seeking comfort"

This is cute, endearing, and utterly false. Clearly the person who said this didn't go to the third grade and learn that snakes are cold blooded.

Authorities are finding released or escaped pet pythons, boa constrictors, and anacondas all over the country, including several other cases in Pennsylvania, where they endanger communities, threaten ecosystems, and in many cases suffer tragic deaths. Reptile dealers commonly peddle these high-maintenance deadly predators to unqualified people at flea markets and over the Internet. In 2001, an 8-year-old Westmoreland County girl was strangled to death by her father’s 11-foot, 26-pound pet Burmese python. The HSUS recommends that people stick with traditional companion animals, such as cats and dogs, and avoid contributing to the cruel trade in exotic animals.

1. are they now? They are finding these all over the country? Would someone please explain to me how? Where? And at what frequency? Because all I'm seeing is assertations with no heft.
and the Bronx zoo cobra incident doesn't count.

2. Yes, it's the people peddling reptiles that are pushing animals, of course it is. We seek these people out in greasy back alleys and push the animals onto them not taking no for an answer. All the time.

3 you're using an example that's over a decade old. How odd. Is it because you have to that far back in order to get a decent heart wrenching death story? Of course it is.

Clearly all people who keep reptiles will inevitably abuse them, it will be much safer for everyone if they all get dogs and cats instead. The fact that they don't feed an animal that only needs to be fed once a week will certainly be remedied once they have a 'traditional' animal that needs daily attention.
Back to top Go down
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 am

Good rant. I agree.
Back to top Go down
pksnipr
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
pksnipr

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 am

that's a light burm. but, anyways i think what bothers me more than the story is the comments below it. "invasive in PA?" wow where did natural biology in this country's school system go?
Back to top Go down
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 am

Haha I as well read those comments. A bunch of ********.
Back to top Go down
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:11 am

The very last comment on there as well, reward for stabbing and shooting of a snake, but not for a human?? Are they idiots? That's why we have a place called prison and have all of those missing and wanted posters.
Back to top Go down
zoogleflorp
zoogleflorp

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 7:41 pm

pksnipr wrote:
wow where did natural biology in this country's school system go?

People aren't really interested in Biology and take almost any information that sounds legit and run with it. I see it in my own family, every single person in my family has told me multiple times "You should sell those snakes" and will always point to two or three stories. Like the everglades, or this one told above. When I so much as try to argue with them? They just brush it off like I know nothing and re-assert the same thing.

Oh by the way, they are all afraid of snakes and pretty much wonder why I haven't been strangled to death yet... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 pm

I had a ten foot burmese python, she tried to eat me once. We were cool after that though.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
DaganGecko

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:47 pm

This thread makes me want to put my head in the sand like an ostrich. It is physically painful for me to read about the reptile ban and Humane Society propoganda. That they won't even own up to being at least partly responsible for newly released snakes makes it that much harder to swallow. Ugh...sick...sick...people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 12:12 am

Wait, who the hell gave my post up there a thumbs down? He was obviously being sarcastic at the end?? So I get a thumbs down for agreeing that people need to chill out about the snake owners?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:57 am

There ya go. I hit you with a positive to make up for it. Sometimes they are hit by accident. The negative and positive are too close to each other. Not sure who did that.
Back to top Go down
Dmspring1987
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
Dmspring1987

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Haha thanks Don. It hurt my feelings No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reward for abuser of Burmese   Reward for abuser of Burmese Empty

Back to top Go down

Reward for abuser of Burmese
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: