VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HR 511

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: HR 511   HR 511 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/Markups%202012/PDF/112hr511ih.pdf

HR 511, a bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the importation of variousinjurious species of constrictor snakes; Indian python, Python molurus, including the Burmese python, Python molurus bivittatus; reticulated python, Broghammerusreticulatus; Northern African python,Python sebae; Southern African python, Python natalensis; Boa constrictor; yellow anaconda, Eunectes notaeus; DeSchauensee’s anaconda,Eunectes deschauenseei; green anaconda, Eunectes murinus; and the Beni anaconda, Eunectes beniensis, in the US House of Representatives, was introduced January 26, 2011 byCongressman Tom Rooney (R-FL) .

Congressman Rooney has taken action to move HR 511! This bill seeks to add 9constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act. HR 511 has been scheduled for a Markup Hearing before the US House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday February 28, 2012 at10:00 AM EST.

Markups for the 112th Congress

>>There is very little time to voice opposition to this bill that coulddevistate the Reptile Community. Please participate in the USARK Call In Campaign TODAY!<<

PHONE CAMPAIGN:

Talking Points:

Will destroy thousands of jobs and small family businesses; $104 million annual economicimpact.
Criminalize the actions of over 1 million American Citizens; Lacey Act felons.
Federal action to address a localized problem in South Florida is unnecessary; the State ofFlorida and US Fish & Wildlife have already taken draconian measures.
Underlying science has been criticized by scientists from around the world.
Creates a massive animal welfare problem, potentially displacing millions ofanimals.

Key Members of House Judiciary Committee:

Lamar Smith (R-TX)- 202-225-4236

Sensenbrenner (R-WI)- 202-225-5101

Coble (R-NC)- 202-225-3065

Issa (R-CA)- 202-225-3906

Gohmert (R-TX)- 202-225-3035

Chaffetz (R-UT)- 202-225-7751

Gowdy (R-SC)- 202-225-6030

Poe (R-TX)- 202-225-6565

Goodlatte (R-VA)- 202-225-5431

DO IT NOW!!!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HR 511   HR 511 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 am

Ok, I'm a little late asking questions about this, but it's not very clear for the simple minded like me.

This would ban the importation of these species to the US from the wild, their homeland in another country.

Besides the two major problems, destroying family jobs (who import snakes) and having more regulations that are likely to grow, what's the problem here?

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be for or against it without understanding it, but I have always thought imports were not a good idea and have always promoted captive breeding.

What else am I missing here besides what's stated above? Is this just stating, "hey you can keep what you have, just stop importing them from other countries" because I have never seen a reason to import snakes that are completely prolific in captivity.

Again, I'm not trying to poke at anyones emotions here, but convince those that don't quite understand why this is a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HR 511   HR 511 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 am

FWIW, I am in no way, shape or form for regulations on what we should and shouldn't own. I am specifically interested on why importing snakes is important.
Back to top Go down
Don

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HR 511   HR 511 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am

Nick, for one this ban would eliminate a multimillion dollar trade with other under developed nations. It would mean that these species would be harder to obtain, thus driving up the price. It would also open the door for the law to be expanded to ban all reptile imports, then interstate transportation of those reptiles.

I'm reminded of a saying from Ronald Reagan, "Every time the government goes after the big guy, the little guy is the one who pays." I may have paraphrased that, so I'll give you a direct quote "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."

There are already enough laws on the books and these species only pose a hazard in three counties in Florida. It is not a national problem, but a local one. Let it be handled locally.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HR 511   HR 511 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks Don! Didn't think of the underdeveloped nations (but at the same time, aren't some of this countries suffering from over harvesting?). Also didn't think of new blood lines and mutations for the future.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HR 511   HR 511 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 pm

It would be silly to keep importing those species already added to the Lacy Act as they would have to remain in Florida.

Not sure why the other species were included.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HR 511 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HR 511   HR 511 Empty

Back to top Go down

HR 511
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Events and News :: Virginia Legislation and Bills-
Jump to: