VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BLACK BEAR

Go down 
+3
Jabberwocky Dragons
Focal
fuzz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fuzz
Established Member+
Established Member+

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 am

This is just a lil rant sorry but I was looking on craiglist the other day an came across this add for a (FREE TO GOOD HOME) Black Bear.Seems they trapped it an now it was getting to aggresive for them to handle.They are offering it to anyone Shocked Well was just thinking just what we need a EXOTIC that just muled some one so decided to call animal control to let them know befor something happen.When I called they said they could not do anything unless it bites someone First of all its a black bear and its 400lbs and its got a additude!WTF so the called the state (Va Dept of Wildlife) pretty much the same thing.It wasnt tel I got intouch with the a Va Gamewarden that they finaly did something.OK Im done just alil rant but was I wrong?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 am

No I think you did the right thing. Most people don't realize what a problematic animal is until they've had it for a few days but want to fulfill the desire to have one. That bear could have ended up anywhere.

I know most people don't want to see regulation of any sort, but I'm starting to feel people like this should end up on some sort of list, maybe like probation in which their premises should be inspected periodically once you do screw up. Start to weed out the idiots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Jabberwocky Dragons

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 am

fuzz wrote:
This is just a lil rant sorry but I was looking on craiglist the other day an came across this add for a (FREE TO GOOD HOME) Black Bear.Seems they trapped it an now it was getting to aggresive for them to handle.They are offering it to anyone Shocked Well was just thinking just what we need a EXOTIC that just muled some one so decided to call animal control to let them know befor something happen.When I called they said they could not do anything unless it bites someone First of all its a black bear and its 400lbs and its got a additude!WTF so the called the state (Va Dept of Wildlife) pretty much the same thing.It wasnt tel I got intouch with the a Va Gamewarden that they finaly did something.OK Im done just alil rant but was I wrong?

My bold emphasis above... Isn't it illegal to keep wild game as pets without a permit? I understand you can buy a black bear from a breeder without a permit but I thought it was generally illegal to go out and catch native wildlife.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Don

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC15-50-100

4VAC15-50-100. Trapping prohibited.

It shall be unlawful to trap bear at any time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:23 am

I think you did the right thing too. However, it is highly probable that the Craig's list poster was joking around. Black bears are native to VA and therefore not considered exotic.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Vergesseneins

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 12:33 pm

...damn, if id seen the ad i would got it n tied a couple of my dog leashes together n kept it in my snake room 8(
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm

You did good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BLACK BEAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BLACK BEAR   BLACK BEAR Empty