VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another AT&T "Beware"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

Another AT&T "Beware" Empty
PostSubject: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 am

I received this email this morning. I don't understand why they offer such fast phones and charge for an "unlimited" data plan when they do something like this. I just renewed my contract or else I would be leaving, which leads to my question, wouldn't this be a violation of our contract? I guess I have to read it.

Honestly, there is no way I'm in the top 5 percent. I work in a space that doesn't allow cell phones so it doesn't get used at least 40 hours of the week.

"Like other wireless companies, AT&T is taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire more network capacity.

As mentioned on a previous bill, we're also taking additional, more immediate steps to help address network congestion and improve reliability. One of these steps involves a change for some customers who use extraordinarily large amounts of data in a single billing period - about 12 times more data than the average smartphone user.

For the current billing cycle, your data usage indicates you could be affected by this change. Here's how it works:

Smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

We're writing because you are in the top 5 percent of heaviest data users for this billing cycle. Because we recognize that data usage can change from month to month, you will not see reduced speeds this billing cycle.

Beginning with your next billing cycle, we'll send you a text message if you are approaching the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. We'll also send you a second text message if you cross into the top 5 percent of heaviest users, at which point you may see reduced speeds for the rest of the month.

Customers have several ways to manage extremely high data usage.

Wi-Fi offers great speeds and doesn't add to your wireless data usage. Consider using Wi-Fi when possible for applications that use the highest amounts of data, such as streaming video apps, remote web camera apps, large data-file transfers (like video) and some online gaming.

You may also consider switching to a tiered data plan if speed is more important to you than having an unlimited data plan. Customers on tiered plans can pay for more data if they need it, and will not see reduced speeds."
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 am

Way to use so much data..... Tsk Tsk Tsk , lol. This sh*t is retarded, good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am

I probably only have five or six additional apps. MapQuest rarely gets used. I play music on the drive to and from work and browse this forum occassionally in the evening. I know VaH isn't putting a heavy load on ATT.

I think I do know the real reason behind this. It's in the last line of the message above. Once I switch from my unlimited to tiered, I can never go back to unlimited. I think I was grandfathered in.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
zues

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 am

Nick does it tell you on you bill how much data you have used?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 am

Yep, I will look it up. I had some time to think about it and I do have the internet off at home so I may be using it a bit more. I did use wifi more when I had it on as they recommended.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:03 am

Edit: I had it wrong, all of last billing cycle I used 2282 MB

Last edited by Focal on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

Ahh, you know what. I switched to the new iPhone a few weeks ago. I wonder if that might be part of the problem.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Ok, I did a lot of digging into this. This is AT&T's evil little scam to wean people off of the unlimited plan. When this started, it screwed all of the biggest users. "Reduction of speed" was not just a slight reduction. They will lower you to less than 1% of the speed you had before. Almost a dead stop.

By using a percentage (5%) they can continually lower the bar for the "highest users." Before long, the 5% of the LOWEST users will fall into this 5% of the highest and experience this "reduction" or cancellation as most call it. Going to a tiered plan not only pulls more revenue for ATT from those that go over the limit, but they can earn more from those that never get near their limit but pay for it. Being the home of the "rollover," you would expect the excess data limit to rollover, but it will not.

The funniest part of all of this, you will not fall into this 5% reduction until you renew your contract for another 24 months. You will immediately be enrolled into the reduction sceme. Most people have been going to Sprint, as I believe they are the only ones offering unlimited data, however, be advised, they may just do the same after raking in so many new customers.

Right now, I am using less than 3gb a month on my unlimited plan that costs me $30. ATT offers a 3gb data plan for the same amount I am using now, $30. I received their warning at 2.2gb (many customers have reported getting this "top 5% user" alert after only 1.3gb), so AT&T's excuse of "reducing the highest data users" is a flat out lie. I would actually benefit from switching to their tiered plan by being bullied out of my unlimited plan. The only benefit I would keep by staying with my unlimited plan is the added cushion of going over 3gb, but they just took that away, didn't they.

It boils down to loyalty and as a loyal customer for so many years, I feel betrayed and suckered. I was lured with the option of keeping my unlimited plan so that I would renew my contract, immediately followed by this text tell me this is not the case ... less than a few weeks after selling me a used iPhone as a new one.

Facepalm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another AT&T "Beware"   Another AT&T "Beware" Empty

Back to top Go down

Another AT&T "Beware"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Welcome to VaHerps! :: OFF TOPIC!-
Jump to: