VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bad news

Go down 
+2
Morta_Dae13
Don
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Don

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am

Of course, feral cats, wild pigs or other non-native species had nothing to do with the decline.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120131/D9SJL7VG0.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm

oh n on of course not!! that would defeat the purpose of them blaming it on the snakes causing mass histeria. why blame it on everything that is to be the cause when you can just go to giant snakes? yea seems logical to me no prob.

....in case ya'll didnt all figure it out by now the whole ^^^^ is just dripping with sarcasm ^_^
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
ezekiel21

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Morta_Dae13 wrote:
....in case ya'll didnt all figure it out by now the whole ^^^^ is just dripping with sarcasm ^_^

Good thing you said something, cause I was a little confused.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

This reinforces that it is a Florida issue and not a national one.
I'm happy to see John Wilson and Mike Dorcas conducting a study on the issue. They are both well respected researchers and dedicated herpetologists.
Back to top Go down
Morta_Dae13
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:14 pm

haha realy ryan?
Back to top Go down
Don

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm

jw wrote:
This reinforces that it is a Florida issue and not a national one.
I'm happy to see John Wilson and Mike Dorcas conducting a study on the issue. They are both well respected researchers and dedicated herpetologists.

This what is needed - science, not emotion and knee jerk reactions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Studies are what's needed but, studies require them to read and understand what's being said. And then to precede with the good of all in mind. and they don't understand why we keep reptiles so they tend to overlook our side.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm

There is really little, if anything, that can be said against this report until further studies are done. It is such an unfortunate situation. Florida was already overrun with invasive species before the pythons came along. The problem for herpers is dainty little invaders such as Anolis sagrei rarely catch the public's attention, however a giant snake that can devastate local wildlife and small pets will do it in a heartbeat. I absolutely agree that feral cats are a horrible threat to wildlife, however short of some sort of feline plague this problem is probably never going to go away. It seems that the pythons are also there to stay and this fact is only going to make various proposed legislations easier to push. I am bored at work at the moment I do not have any real point to make other than we, as herpers, should expect the obvious with these studies. A large introduced predator that is here to stay is of course going to cause a decline in prey populations. Enthusiasts of giant snakes are living in perilous times. This is why it is more important than ever to be responsible...make sure that your animals are housed properly, do not buy them unless you are prepared for the adult size, do not be displaying your snakes in public unless it is through a proper venue as many people have a very real fear of serpents and that must be respected, do not do anything stupid that is going to put your snake in the local newspaper, etc I know that I am mostly preaching to the choir here but in these times we must be diligent. Stepping off of soapbox now..
Chip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bad news Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad news   Bad news Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad news
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: