VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blood Pythons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
jareddtampa

Blood Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Blood Pythons   Blood Pythons EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Does anybody here deal with bloods much? I am debating on getting one and wanted some input on what you all think of them as well as what kind of setup is best/how they do in a rack system?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

Blood Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Blood Pythons EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 2:50 am

Blood pythons in my personal opinion should not be in the pet trade near as much as they are, they're great snakes but the up keep/requirements is a bit more than a Ball Python or Boa yet they're sold in pet stores. Basically you can't flucuate with they're temps and humidity.

A lot of blood pythons are also imported still, they stress out with conditions that aren't close to perfect and they can pack a lot of attitude of course if everythings good you get a Captive Bred Animal (well started), and work with them (provided all husbandry is taken care of and they have a settle in period) you can end up with a great snake.

They're also not really active snakes. If you're seriously looking for one I'd suggest having a proper set up first along with being really familiar with their requirements. And then looking for a Captive Bred animal (if you need help finding a good Blood Python breeder let me know I can assist you)

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-caresheets/blood-python.html

http://vpi.com/publications/blood_pythons_information_and_care
Back to top Go down
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
jareddtampa

Blood Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Blood Pythons EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I am in no position right now to get one, but want to be sure I have everything ready to go when I get one. I have researched them a little bit and have always loved them, but have not really known anyone who's kept them. When the time comes I would definitely appreciate help in finding a solid breeder.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

Blood Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Blood Pythons EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Years ago I bred Borneo Short-tailed Pythons (back in those days they were still called "blood pythons"). The biggest problem I had was keeping the humidity high enough during the cooler months. They also only poop several times a year and when they go, it is a massive amount.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Deedle

Blood Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Blood Pythons EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 am

Bloods (and or borneo short tailed pythons) are both great to work with. But not the hardiest of animals. I know as JW mentioned I would have humidity issues personally during the colder months when the heat is sucking out humidity from the room.

I'd love to get a nice pair of black bloods personally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blood Pythons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Blood Pythons Empty

Back to top Go down

Blood Pythons
Page 1 of 1