VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Garter snake feeding question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BigWiddle

Garter snake feeding question Empty
PostSubject: Garter snake feeding question   Garter snake feeding question EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 2:43 pm

My partner and I work in a community garden, and part of the educational program is discussing types of animals that are found on a garden/on a farm. We are thinking of adding a snake to our educational group. We were thinking of getting a Garter snake, because they eat a varied diet. However, is it okay to only feed a garter snake fish and worms? We wanted to make sure before we committed fully.

Side note: Is there another species that would work better for our educational purposes? It would need to be docile enough to be held by young children (8+) and teenagers.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
bcr229

PostSubject: Re: Garter snake feeding question   Garter snake feeding question EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 4:33 pm

BigWiddle wrote:
My partner and I work in a community garden, and part of the educational program is discussing types of animals that are found on a garden/on a farm. We are thinking of adding a snake to our educational group. We were thinking of getting a Garter snake, because they eat a varied diet. However, is it okay to only feed a garter snake fish and worms? We wanted to make sure before we committed fully.

Side note: Is there another species that would work better for our educational purposes? It would need to be docile enough to be held by young children (8+) and teenagers.
I have two garter snakes, one "wild-caught" (found injured in the garage), the other was purchased as a baby from a pet store.

Both are little doo-doo heads that hate being handled.  They musk, bite, and run.  I wouldn't recommend one for a snake that you want handled by a lot of people.  Go for a king or milk snake instead.

Even black rat snakes are more tolerant of handling than garters, I found a juvenile in my foyer last year (and my first thought was dang it I have an escapee!).  I picked it up to put it back outside and it was just super-chill.  I should have kept it and put the garters out, I think we all would have been happier in the end!

Young garters will eat night crawlers, easy enough to find them at a bait shop.  My two are old enough now to be on large-ish fuzzy or small-ish hopper mice.  Avoid fish, most feeder fish have thiaminase which will eventually kill your snake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
BigWiddle

PostSubject: Re: Garter snake feeding question   Garter snake feeding question EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Thank you for all the information! We will keep this all in-mind while searching for the perfect one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garter snake feeding question   Garter snake feeding question Empty

Back to top Go down

Garter snake feeding question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Feeding and Feeders-
Jump to: