VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?

Go down 
+3
b_rickard
Focal
RalphMills
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? Empty
PostSubject: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Just a heads up but once the black rat snake was renamed the eastern rat snake along with yellow, greenish and everglades rat snakes it bacame illegal to sell any of them here in VA unless it's an albino. They are ALL now considered Pantherophis alleghaniensis. What was once scorned as a hybrid in the hobby (everglades x black rat) is now considered the same species with no subspecies designation.

Last edited by RalphMills on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Do you have any links to this info for clarification purposes? I own one and gave one away a while back. I hope I didn't mess up :/
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 11:59 pm

You can still posses up to five. I doubt DGIF will go after you for having a hypo everglades or yellow ratsnake but like JW explained to me yesterday they all use the same taxonomic source and what was formerly known as everglades rat snake, yellow rat snake and black rat snake are now all renamed as the Eastern Rat Snake. I just confirmed this name change with Floridas website as well. The Eastern Rat Snakes range now covers from southern Ontario to the Florida Keys.

Last edited by RalphMills on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 12:31 am

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/pantherophisalleghaniensis.htm

Does anyone have a contact in the enforcement division?  Maybe since the everglades and yellow rat snake look nothing like what an Eastern Rat Snake is described as in Virginia's DGIF and VHS website then they would not enforce the selling of them.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 1:23 am

I am glad I moved out of Virginia then! I had a ton of Everglades!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 am

You were able to move your snakes to Hawaii?
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
allaboutthekings

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 4:26 pm

I guess that will also include white oaks as well?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 5:11 pm

The intent of many of the herp regulations is to stop and/or regulate the sale of native species. My guess is the DGIF will treat atypical looking eastern ratsnakes in the same manner as atypical looking corn snakes. I've asked the DGIF for an "official statement" on this matter and will post it here.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks JW!
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 12:39 am

No, that isn't allowed.

Last edited by b_rickard on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm

The official word from the DGIF regarding the sales of P. alleghaniensis in Virginia:

"These snakes cannot be sold in Virginia, even if they are captive breed or collected outside of the state. The restrictions on the sale of native herps, does not apply to albinos of any species except for T&E or otherwise designated."
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks for the clarification JW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
RalphMills

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:06 am

Yes, thanks for getting that info JW. BTW, what is T&E?
Back to top Go down
Grymm
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
Grymm

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 7:03 am

Threatened and endangered
Back to top Go down
http://www.grymmexotics.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?   Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA? Empty

Back to top Go down

Everglades ratsnake and yellow rat snakes now illegal to sell in VA?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: VHS Conservation and Education News-
Jump to: