VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!
VaHerps.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park

Go down 
+4
MADKATTER
smd58
Stray
leftoflarry
8 posters
AuthorMessage
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Empty
PostSubject: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:34 pm

The Virginia Herpetological Society conducted its annual spring survey this weekend. This year we chose the Shenandoah River State Park located in Warren County, about 20 min. south of Front Royal. It was a successful survey. Here are all of my PICS.

Some of the highlights were that we found a Corn Snake and a Copperhead snuggling together under a rock. That is a double slam dunk find!!! We also found a Milk Snake and a Rough Green Snake!!!!! We also found various turtles, salamanders, lizards, and frogs. Smile We had about 3 or 4 County Records and 3 or 4 vouchers for species suspected to be there.

Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortix mokasen) and Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus)
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3412

Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestevus)
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3411

Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortix mokasen) close up
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3510

Me, after tubing the copperhead
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3511

Me holding the corn snake (Pantherophis guttatus)
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3512

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum)
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3513

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum)
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Img_3514
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:45 am

Some amazing pictures!!! That is a gorgeous Copperhead, and I love the contrast of he and the Corn next to each other XD

Congratulations on a successful trip!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:24 am

Some great finds, the corn and copperhead together was a vary insterstring find.
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 10:05 am

It's almost like the corn snake is saying "Dude! Don't move! There is a copperhead right next to me!"
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:00 pm

MADKATTER wrote:
It's almost like the corn snake is saying "Dude! Don't move! There is a copperhead right next to me!"

iagree The copperhead does provide some protection, there may be something more to this phenomena.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Stray

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Or maybe the Copperhead knows how horrible Corn Snake poop smells so he's banking on that to keep people away from him.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:06 pm

The near-sighted, male copperhead is trying to put the moves on the female cornsnake.
Her reply is simply, "Sorry, you're not my type."

Larry, thanks for organizing such a great survey! I just found out that the total species count was 34!
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:10 pm

jw wrote:
The near-sighted, male copperhead is trying to put the moves on the female cornsnake.
Her reply is simply, "Sorry, you're not my type."

Larry, thanks for organizing such a great survey! I just found out that the total species count was 34!

lol! lol!
Not a problem 34 species!!! that is awesome. I hope you took some good pics of that corn snake btw and of any other species you found. The land by the water was very productive. 34 species total..that is awesome. Smile
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Some pics from the survey...
Northern Red Salamander - This guy was found far from water at the top of an upland trail. Somewhat atypical for the species.
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Northern%20Red%20Salamander
Eastern Ratsnake - Both these ratsnakes were found at the edge of our campsite. In addition to the snakes we had meadow voles, baby cottontails, a red fox and a trio of red-headed woodpeckers in or at the edge of our site.
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Eastern%20Ratsnake
-
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Eastern%20Ratsnake2

A gravid cornsnake

VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Cornsnake2
-
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Cornsnake1

Long-tailed Salamander
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Long-tailed%20salamander

And two of the three red-headed woodpeckers.
VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Red-headed%20woodpeckers
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Great photos!
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
Focal

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Those are amazing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
jw

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks! It was a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 4:59 pm

nice! wish i could've seen all that!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
smd58

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:06 pm

great finds, and shots.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
leftoflarry

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Awesome pics as always john! It was a very fun survey... I encourage everyone on this forum to join the VHS and come have fun with us field herpin! Smile

Back to top Go down
Bobbykaizer
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew
Bobbykaizer

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park EmptyFri May 25, 2012 6:15 pm

would definitely love to try it out. we have some very cool native species!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park   VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park Empty

Back to top Go down

VHS 2012 Spring Survey of Shenandoah River State Park
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: Field Herping-
Jump to: